Sunday, June 30, 2013

Birth Story

3rd Time is a Charm

Our 3rd Baby arrived 10 days early after 3 glorious, powerful pushes, she left my body and entered the warm water of the birthing tub.  I loved giving birth to our daughter!!!  The Perfect Grand Finale.
I was 38 weeks and feeling subtle surges, some shifting discomfort in my pelvis, I knew the time was near but accepted that near could be 2 or 4 more weeks.  We had an active Saturday, morning yoga classes, a birthday party for a 2 year old friend, and a dinner with a mixed group of adults and children in the evening.

That night maybe around midnight I went on a bathroom trip and got a sudden rush of shakes, hormone shakes, they occur sometime in labor you might be hot but get sudden bursts of shivver shakes.  I climbed back in bed cuddled up next to my husband and knew something was starting to happen.  Around 3am I started timing the contractions, they were very consistently 10 mins apart.  Getting into the 4 o clock hour I woke Bradlee and said we have to call the Birth Center and my Mom in AZ, the baby is coming today.  He was very tired and asked me if I wanted to go back to bed and wait until the morning, NO!  The Baby is Coming!!!  The Birth Center told me to call back when contractions were 7 minutes apart and my mom booked the first flight of the morning, she would arrive at 8a.m.  I continued to breath through the contractions, taking rest in bed between them.

The kids had woken at some point and everyone was now in our bed.  At 7a.m. I decided to get up and shower thinking we could pick my mom up and drop her and the kids to get a rental car before heading to the Birth Center (always multi-tasking I am).  Once I was up moving and got in the shower, boom the surges were closer and stronger, 3 mins apart, 4, 5, I wasn't sure but they were right on top of each other.  I found great comfort in chanting the vibrations of the chakras, this really allowed me to relax and surrender into the passing waves.  I got out of the shower and decided a nutritious smoothie would be a good idea.  Surges still coming fast, took one drink of smoothie, had to throw up.  At this point my husband and 2 year old son had gotten up and were pressing on my low back and encouraging me with loving words.  Soon after my mom had landed but I knew we did not have time to pick her up, we had to get going, our baby was near.

Our dear friend came to be with the kids while they waited for grandma to get a rental car then pick them up to join us.  I had called the Birth Center and told them we were heading in, we arrived around 9:30a.m. and our daughter was born at 10:07a.m.  The easiest of my 3 babies, the smallest, the earliest.
I felt so amazed and empowered by the whole experience.  Such joy, love, and connection to a Greater Power, mystical, magical, mama energy.  I was in slight shock after the 2nd push when they told me the   head was out and that with 1 more push our baby would be out.  I felt strong, intuitive, and so happy I wasn't exhausted by hours of labor.

Having a newborn in the house is such a delight!  We are all so in Love with her.  I can watch her for hours, amazed that she was alive inside of me and now here she is looking around her new world.  Our family has been very blessed with an outpouring of support in the form of meals, gifts, time, and friendship.  We are deeply grateful to everyone that has contributed to the health and happiness of our growing family and made it possible for me to the recovery time needed and the bonding time we are enjoying.


No comments:

Post a Comment